Thursday, March 27, 2014

Fort Nisqually: Living History Museum















We took advantage of the rare sunny spring Pacific Northwest weather last weekend to finally visit Fort Nisqually.  It's so close, I can't believe we haven't been before.  And it was seriously amazing.  Ever since I was a little girl I've been in love with all things colonial (no surprise, given the things I'm into as an adult!)  Sidenote: I'm currently reading through this series, and LOVING IT!  This is next on my list (I can't believe I haven't read it before!)

I keep telling Jes I was born in the wrong century--and I absolutely believe it.  I would have kicked ass as a colonial woman.  Keepin' house/chickens/garden/sewing all the things like a BOSS!  (Yes, I'm very aware of the risks and dangers, and of how hard it was, but I maintain that I would have been an amazing homesteader.)

From the website: "Located in Tacoma’s Point Defiance Park, Fort Nisqually Living History Museum is a restoration of the Hudson’s Bay Company outpost on Puget Sound. Visitors experience life in Washington Territory during the 1850s Fur Trade era. Nine buildings are open to the public, including the Granary and the Factors House, both National Historic Landmarks, and a Visitor Center with Museum Store."

If you haven't been before, it's totally worth a trip to Tacoma.  The fee to get in is nominal (I think it was $18 for our family of four.)  All the households are kept up, and the actors are actually there doing work: gardening, blacksmithing, building.  (Also, I dragged my family to YET ANOTHER fabric store--haha!  Too bad it's just a display!)  BONUS: April 19th is Sewing to Sowing!  This has my name written all over it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing, going on my to do list next time we're down that way.